Choose the Best Girls Summer Camp with These 6 Things in Mind
Thu, 10/19/2023 - 11:15
When it comes to deciding which summer camp to attend, girls and parents want to choose the best option. Whether your family is considering sleep-away program for the first time or your daughter is a seasoned camper, here are some important criteria to consider when selecting the best summer camp for girls.
1) Location, location, location: Where will the young woman in your family spend time learning about the outdoors? Her surroundings will be a key ingredient to her experience. Yellowstone National Park and the majestic Big Sky country, the glorious Pacific Coast, wild and scenic Idaho, rugged Wyoming: you simply won’t find a better selection of western outdoor places for the young adventuress in your family to explore her skills in nature. Whether you’re looking for something close to home, or an adventure across the country, Alpengirl Summer Adventure Camp offers trips in some of the most breathtaking wilderness areas in the country!
2) Friends for life: Another important part of any successful summer camp experience are the friendships that flourish between the campers. Here at Alpengirl, there is something special about the quality of friendship created. The unique depth and strength of these connections comes from the amazing experiences girls share, their trust in the team, and the fact that Alpengirl is always a judgment-free environment, filled with silliness, authenticity, and daring. Camp is different from school or other “real life” settings, because at Alpengirl girls are free to really be themselves. The bonds that form at camp last across distance and time: campers often plan to meet up “next year” and stay in contact throughout the school year, reminding each other of the support of their camp network and keeping their friendships strong until the next summer! These friendships can give girls a boost of confidence through the challenges of adolescence. Girls shine bright at Alpengirl, and our stars form beautiful constellations!
3) Good food: As any experienced camper can tell you, Alpengirls eat well! Whether it’s teriyaki stir fry, fresh fruit on pancakes, or good ol’ grilled cheese and hot soup, we know that successful adventures require high quality camp food. Our meals are varied, nourishing, and fun to prepare, and campers make up an important part of the kitchen team! Alpengirl even has its own cookbook designed to satisfy the appetites of active, growing girls, and favorites such as the Sassy Peanut Sauce bowl often show up at home when inspiration strikes or camp feels a little too far away. At Alpengirl we also understand that some girls have specific needs and dietary sensitivities. Vegetarian, picky-eaters, or allergies: we’re prepared for many situations and our options are delicious!
4) Awesome activities: Memories are made on the trail, on the river, and in the saddle, and Alpengirl sessions include a variety of adventure activities. Does she want to try rock climbing in the North Cascades? How about surfing on the Washington coast? A canoe expedition on the Missouri River? If she’s an equestrian (or aspiring cowgirl), how about a pack trip in Montana? Whitewater rafting is a perennial favorite, and sea kayaking is a great way for her to dip her toes into paddling. All Alpengirl trips incorporate 3-6 day backcountry backpacking, rafting, canoeing, or horse packing trips to introduce girls to techniques of backcountry travel. Whatever activities your family decides on, your young outdoorswoman will build camp skills she’ll have forever. And she’ll create unforgettable memories along the way!
5) Safety and credibility: When you send your young one away, you want to know she’s in careful and caring hands. That’s something you can always count on with Alpengirl Summer Adventure Camp. For over 25 years, Alpengirl has been providing safe and successful adventure trips for girls. We’re reviewed and accredited by the American Camp Association, the nation’s premier summer camp certifier. We’ve built our reputation on providing young women with amazing experiences and providing families with the peace of mind that their girls are being well taken care of. Safety is our #1 priority.
6) Enthusiastic, qualified staff: Summer camp programs rely on their staff to make it all happen, and here at Alpengirl we take our roles seriously--but we also know how to bring the fun! Our Alpenguide teams are trained in Wilderness First Aid, CPR, and Lifeguard rescue. In addition, our instructors are experienced outdoorswomen who are role models of compassion and capability. They can go from leading morning yoga session, to teaching backcountry safety, to cooking up a healthy meal for a dozen, without even breaking a sweat! All our Alpenguides attend an experiential staff training in June: check out our staff training video on the employment page to meet a few of our former guides and hear highlights from their training and the Alpenguide community!
This summer, join the many girls and families who agree that Alpengirl is the best summer camp for girls!